Brant County’s population was about 44,000. More than 5500 of its citizens proudly answered the call – roughly ONE soldier for every eight residents (one of the highest enlistment rates in the country)
Brant County Battalions
The 215th Battalion CEF
Based in Brantford, the unit began recruiting in early 1916 in the counties of Brant, Norfolk, and Haldimand. After sailing to England in April 1917, the battalion was absorbed into the 2nd Reserve Battalion on May 7, 1917. The 215th Battalion, CEF had two Officers Commanding:
Lieutenant-Colonel H. E. Snider and Lieutenant-Colonel H. Cockshutt
The 215th Battalion is perpetuated by the 56th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA.
125th Infantry Battalion C.E.F.
Cutcliffe who at that time commanded the 38th Dufferin Rifles of Canada. The personnel of the Battalion were drawn from Brantford and Brant County. Training was carried out in Brantford until July 4th, 1916 when the unit was moved to Camp Borden.
On August 6th the Battalion embarked at Halifax on the S.S Scandinavian for Overseas service where they were sent to reinforce other formations of the Canadian Expeditionary Force in France.
More than 600 Brant County and Six Nations residents were killed in WWI
To learn more of our involvement in the Great War visit CMHM.